Tuesday, December 08, 2009

The swiss chard is dead

Had to happen really, there was no way that we’d be able to eat swiss chard year round at 6500ft in Colorado, but I was secretly hoping.  After Saturday’s excellent ride, the temps dropped and the snow began to fall on Sunday.  It’s still falling.

We are assured by neighbors and friends that this is not normal.  Yesterday I drove Karl over to his buddy’s house a mile away and learned something very important: these ultra-conservative types that run the government south of Denver walk their talk. They sincerely believe that God will take care of snow removal.  Or perhaps they believe in that adage that “God helps those drive who shovel the roads themselves.”  Regardless, this place makes Iowa snow removal look awfully good.

Today is Tuesday and I was hoping to get out with a riding buddy on Wednesday or Thursday for a long ride.  Unless a miracle happens (see above, God, if you read my blog), I’m staring at a lot of hours on the rollers this week.  This is where rollers move from being an occasional novelty, “Hey look, honey, I can ride with no hands.” to which twelve hour Tour dvd am I going to watch again.  I’ll also need to think about which days are going to be my quality days with significant workout goals beyond time spinning in aerobic zones.  That’s easy when there are sprints, hill climbs and the surging egos of our Saturday chain gang, but on rollers these things must be simulated.  Here’s what the week looks like:

Sunday: easy one hour or so spin to recover from Sat’s 3 and a half hour training ride.

Monday: off, time to do some work on that online class!

Tuesday: Two hours on the rollers, with 2x20min reps in zone 3-4, okay, zone 4.  Time to develop power and push the LT a bit.  Maybe the 1998 Tour de France…

Wed: Easy one hour spin to loosen up the legs, time to reinflate that excercise ball and do some core work?

Thurs: See Tuesday.  Should be on Stage 5 or 6 now, or maybe already into the mountains if they do those short summaries of the stages.

Fri: An hour and a half on the rollers for Spin-Ups!  Such a happy sounding workout, just do ten reps of 30 sec maximum cadence spinning in a low gear.  No bouncing in the saddle!

Sat: Is the snow melted yet?  God are you reading?  If the roads aren’t clear by now, it’s 3 hours of steady endurance pace on the rollers. 

Sun:  Note to self: Shoot yourself before you do this again.

3 comments:

ScootsOnMoots said...

Snow? In the foothills? How is that not normal? What isn't normal is how long it'll take for it recede. I am going to guess, however, that you're glad to not be in Iowa right now either. They have all the same garbage coming their way, but without the views.

Karl said...

Exactly. I knew something was wrong when the Manitou 'plow', a small truck with a blade, came down our street and I couldn't tell it had been there.

Unknown said...

I was riding my adult tricycle down the smooth, flat street of our retirement community in arizona and just starting to sweat in the 74 degree weather, when i thought about our old house in manitou springs, colorado. i wondered if the ice on the roads would last all winter, like it had in the past years......but i guess it really doesn't matter anymore. I hope the senior citizen headed towards me sees my orange flag on my 7 ft pole!