Saturday, July 19, 2008

More Heat

What do you do when the racing isn't going well? Look for an explanation and try to fix it.

The big explanation for my crappy performance so far can be summed up with one word: heat. Not good with it and not smart enough to avoid racing in it, I still feel the effects of doing five races in hot temps and high humidity and I'm sitting in a cool basement. Oh well, as my wife said this morning on the phone, you're getting out there and getting a decent workout in. And I do enjoy racing!

Today's race in Waukesha is promising to be wet and/or humid. I like the course a lot; lots of accelerations, power climbs and a long descent into the final corner leading to a long finishing straight. It's scheduled for forty miles, but at this Super Week that can mean anything at all. If it's raining, the warm-up might be problematic, but c'est la vie, n'est ce pas?

After the race, it's back to Iowa to see the family and rest before returning to Cedarburg on Tuesday. Hopefully with fresher legs and fresher spirit.

No comments: