Friday, December 19, 2008

It's not snowing yet


but the forecast is saying we'll have 10 inches of snow on the ground when we wake up tomorrow. That's fine, but for now I spin on my trusty Kreitler rollers, watching A Sunday in Hell, a great film about the 1976 Paris-Roubaix.

An easy spin and the legs are fresh from a few days completely off, a perfect storm of final grades and a bad cold conspired to give me a break. I glance down and my heart rate is twenty beats higher than it should be. Could be the Sudafed, could just be my body's reaction to the bug. I gear down and relax a bit as there's no sense in pushing myself and risk getting more sick.

The race starts in Chantilly, a town I'm now familiar with and Merckx rides down to the start line in the town center, past the chateau that marked the turn-around for the Selle en Selle ride I did with Jean-Manuel at the end of September. Chantilly hasn't really changed much in 30 years and I half expect to see the guys from the Houilles club cheering the riders as they leave the start.

An easy hour, my legs would like some more, but my heart tells me better. Sleep and tomorrow might be a day to play in the snow.

No comments: