Monday, August 25, 2008

Friends day out

Few things are more enjoyable for me than riding with my wife and some good friends. We met at the Dubuque shop in the morning, sun shining, air drying out a bit and headed west on a familiar run to Epworth.

The pace was a comfortable spin, more of a recovery ride pace for Mike and I, but going up Humke Rd's climb is always an effort, especially at the beginning of a ride. Our group, my wife and I, Mike and his wife Molly, and our good riding friend Tammy, rode along in various formations. Sunday morning traffic was light and most folks still had a sermon echoing in their brains, so maybe that made them a bit more tolerant and understanding of bicycles on the road.

In Epworth we turned north to climb up to Bankston and then ride east on Park Hollow Rd. Park Hollow snakes it's way between the forested hills, cutting through farms, meandering with a stream. It occurred to me that this would be one place I would want to show a cyclist from another country; this is world class cycling. About five miles on this road was a gift and then we paid for it with the steep climb up to Highway 52. On to Sherill and then the high road downhill to Dubuque.

Coffee, smoothies and a sandwich at the Cafe Mana Java and life is good.

1 comment:

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like this blog.
Sorry not write more, but my English is not good.
A hug from Portugal