Saturday, February 10, 2007

Singing in the Rain



From our perch on the mountain the sky to the east, over the Mediterranean looked clear of the clouds hovering over the Alberes, so I headed towards the sea for a two hour base-building ride. Soon after passing through Laroque, the rain started, first with a few drops and then in earnest. I moved out into the lane to avoid fragments of glass, normally not an issue, but lubricated with water, almost a guaranteed stop on the side of the road. I checked the temp, 42 degrees. At least I was able to warm my legs up a bit before it started.

In Argeles, I turned right on a little road that passed underneath the busy street headed for the centre ville, a great discovery Janet made last week, and headed north to St. Cyprien. The rain fell harder and the wind picked up out of the north. Quick check of the temp: still 42 degrees. I was getting wet and cold and starting to wonder why I needed to be on the road a full two hours.

In the west the sun came out over the Canigou and in that transendent moment I turned away from the sea and headed towards the sun shining on the Vallespir. By St. Andre the rain had stopped and by Brouilla I was cycling in the sun and started to dry out. On the north side of Ortaffa, I found a little road and, ignoring the 'Route Barree' sign, cycled through vineyards and up a long hill overlooking the valley. Sun splashed the Alberes and Villelongue dels Monts in the distance and the blue, blue sky was spreading towards the sea.

No comments: