Monday, January 15, 2007

Veloland

11 January 2007

Veloland is located just west of Perpignan on the N114. Riding on the N114 is a bit like riding on an I94 when it enters downtown Chicago; there’s a shoulder, but not over the bridges. My riding mate signals with his hand to the traffic behind us that we’re moving from the shoulder to the lane, but I don’t think anyone notices at 135 kilometers an hour. This is only a 7k jog from the very quiet D40 from Villeneuve de la Roha and points south and I think I might be the first dad to die attempting to get a roadbike for his son.

We exit at a large rondpoint and I immediately see that Veloland shares a border with another bike shop. We visit the other shop first, riding in the door and unclipping once we’re past the fleet of motor scooters parked inside the door. Geoff needs a front derailleur braze-on adapter for his TCR that he’s building and I find the owner to ask about an Orbea Carrerra avec les roués 24 pouces. My bicycle French is still a work in progress, but we communicate and he shows me a 2006 Orbea hanging at the back of the shop. I feel a sense of relief. My son and I already visited the more local shop to us, Cycles Alberes. Lionel, the proprietor, was very nice, but we discovered looking through the catalogue that Orbea wasn’t making the Carrerra in 2007. Mon Dieu! So off to Perpignan we went.

Basically, small road bikes break down into three groups here. At the gigantic Decathlon chain stores, there’s the 125€ Decathlon bike, with downtube shifters and pressed together hubs. Reminds of my first 10 speed, a Sears Free Spirit my dad bought from a friend. It’s not a great memory. I was in 7th grade and promptly turned a local charity ride into an opportunity to ride a century. The bike promptly fell apart and thus began my apprenticeship as a bike mechanic.

The upper level bikes are made by the likes of Colnago and a few other Italian makers. For about a 1000€ you get a aluminium frame with low end Campy components. While the appeal of having my youngest riding a Pinnarello is attractive, I’m more attracted to having him on a mid-level bike with equivalent frame and Sora components.

The Orbea has older 7 speed Sora and a crank that is pressed together. Alex rims and Zeus bars and stem. I’m not impressed with the vaunted paint work, but maybe that because of the dust on it. He’s asking 639.00 for it, which is above retail. I would think he might deal on a 2006 covered in dust, but no. We move on to Veloland.

The striking thing about Veloland is the dog that protects it. Put a Sharpei’s head on the body of a pit bull and you have an idea of the dog that greeted us at the door. Geoff bent to pet it and got a nice bark. “Don’t be afraid, it doesn’t bite.” Geoff needed another bit that he had ordered and I made my request again, maybe in better French as there wasn’t any confusion, and I was shown two Giants, both with 8sp Sora drivetrains and shorter reach levers for little hands. The finishes were just as nice as the Orbea and there was a reduction in the price!

So on Tuesday, Karl and I have a date to visit Veloland. Johann will be getting a smaller bike from Geoff to ride and we’re envisioning days on the piste cyclable, riding together as a family.

1:42, 29.4, 820ft

No comments: