Sunday, November 26, 2006

back for more

In 2003, I made my first visit to France, travelling to the Vendee to talk to a partner school of the college where I teach. Like so many naive Iowans before me, I fell in love with the place, the food, the sounds and the challenge of communicating in an unfamiliar language. Returning with my family and my bike in the summer of 2004, I found my way more directly into the culture, using the bike to move closer to learning and understanding the French. (read some of my ride reports from this year).

Each year since, I've been able to visit for work and cycling. In 2004, I even had the opportunity to race with the Bois d'Arcy club in a couple of races. In January, my family and I have the opportunity to spend three and a half months in southern France, in the Perpignan area. Of course, the bikes are coming and I've contacted a local club a few k's down the roade from our rental house in Le Boulou. Geoff, a former pro British racer and speaker of English, has been emailing and I'm looking forward to many training rides with him and his club.

My seven year-old son, Karl, has convinced his parents that he needs a road bike and has even selected the model, an Orbea Carrerra. And so, an 'educational' trip to the Orbea factory in the Basque country in the Pyrennes is being planned.

So stay tuned,

chris

No comments: